History

First mentioned in 1244, Henricus de Cazenzunge gave Castel Katzenzungen to the aristocrats von Fink and von Schlandersberg, who planted the world's largest and probably oldest grapevine, the “Versoaln”. The castle passed through the hands of the lords von Thun and von Fuchs to the von Breisach’s who are responsible for the impressive architecture we can see today.

Between 1500 and 1700, Castel Katzenzungen was one of the most impressive noble buildings of the country. After the noble family Breisach died out, the building lost some of its importance and started to decline. In 1978, Josef Pobitzer bought up the derelict Renaissance castle and passed it on to his son Ernst who restored it to its present day splendour and rediscovered the spirit of the “castle of desire”.

Today Castel Katzenzungen is a family run business, and for guests and visitors an invigorating place for large and small culinary, social and cultural events.